Monday, September 22, 2008

My Affair with the BTS

I vividly remember the first time I boarded a BTS bus. That was a couple of years ago. I was new to the city and was struggling to adjust to the new setting. I had finally managed to get a job in a private company which was about three kilometres from my room. I fell into the routine of sauntering to my work. A few days of this and I was fed up. You know-the crowded pavements, the signal lights, the beggars, the hawkers and other innumerable distractions. I barely managed to get to the office in time. It was then that I decided to use the cheapest means of public transport available, for the first time.

I arrived at the nearest bus stand dressed immaculately. And a bus came and left without me. For try as I might, I couldn't get into it. I was stunned by the surge of the mob. It was a force that I had not reckoned with. ah! I thought, looking around at the almost deserted place, at least, I could get into the next bus. Within seconds, however, to my dismay, a new crowd had assembled around me and seemed rarin' to go. I got into the next one mainly because I took it up as a challenge to my manhood. Of course, I hated the trip. There was no place to park my legs properly. It was as hot as an oven inside. And only with a superhuman effort (it involved some desperate shoving and some even more desperate shouting) could I manage to alight from the bus at my destination. My clothes were all crumpled up by then

Since that day, I have had a love-hate relationship going on with the BTS. For one thing, it keeps me physically fit. I run towards the bus, the moment it is sighted, with my heart pounding. And once inside, I believe, the tons of pressure on me from all sides does good to my muscles. At the very beginning of the day, it puts me in a mean and aggressive mood that seems so necessary in day-to-day activities of late. I am reminded by it that life isn't exactly a smooth, enjoyable ride-especially for a person belonging to the middle class. And that it is a very competitive world today. It does emphasize the point 'might is right' to an extent. But it also shows that a withering, doddering individual (like me) can survive in this cruel world-provided he is shrewd enough.

Well, I am a veteran commuter of sorts now. And I have a few tips to those who have settled recently in the city and who commute to work in a BTS bus.

All is well if there is a queue in the bus stand. But if there is not one, take heed. When a bus arrives, never ever make the mistake of standing on the either side of the entrance. You will not even get a foothold that way. Instead position yourself in the middle of the stream of the onrushing commuters. You will find yourself inside the bus without any big effort on your part.

Once inside the bus, the rule is not to relax. To get a seat should be your next goal. Otherwise, you will have to stand at an awkward angle, or get your legs trampled upon. (By the way, you are better off wearing shoes-the thicker, the better). You also stand a chance of losing your purse while standing. And not to forget, the discomfort of having someone breathing down your neck. So you should be very alert, mentally as well as physically. Don't park yourself behind the driver or in the enclosure near the entrances. Leave them to those 'softies' who are not interested in a seat. (They have given up the race already).

Instead stand in the aisle and be on the lookout for the signs from those seated. A hand placed on the bar in front (if already there, watch out for the tightening of the grip); a glance backward at a friend sitting at the back; collecting things in hand; a sudden interest in the surroundings-all are sure signs of a seat about to be vacated. The things they carry also provide valuable clues. (Flowers, fruits mean either a temple or a hospital en route). Boarding the same bus everyday is advantageous in that you will recognise those regulars who get down at various stops.

The thing to do directly, once you catch one of those signs is to quickly maneuver yourself so that you end up beside the seat about to be given up. Ease into the seat even as it is being vacated. A moment's hesitation and you lose a good opportunity. This part is quite difficult at first. You can learn a few things by observing an expert 'blocker'. Observe how adroitly he makes use of his hands and body to fence off the seat, leaving no chance to anyone else.

Never stand near those with blank eyes; or beside those enjoying a doze. Nor beside those with noses buried deep in some book or periodical-or those totally absorbed in talking. The chances are that they are terminus- to- terminus commuters.

Finally, have faith in your intuitive powers. it becomes sharper with experience. You then instinctively know who will be getting down at the next stop or two.

Good luck!!

No comments: